What’s that saying?… “It’s never too late!” This is true!
However, starting a healthier lifestyle can be difficult these days with all the information that we have access to on the internet. It’s literally everywhere, telling us all the new studies with new information on why you should eat this, or shouldn’t eat that, what type of exercise is best for fat loss, how many hours of sleep you should be getting… the list goes on and on. I actually find it very stressful and overwhelming sometimes because of all of the information available, its hard to find what’s best for me. It’s hard to balance work, eating well, exercise, rest, spending time with my family and friends, self-care, the list goes on, so reading up on all the different information can be daunting and often time wasting for me. I literally do not have enough time in the day to keep up but that’s what I have found about discovering your balance, is that its ok not to be able to do it all, all the time. Yes its tough, and I’m still crazy busy all the time, but I do what I can, and I find this is what keeps me happy, energized, and feeling good.
I find it hard to balance work, eating well, exercise, rest, spending time with my family and friends, self-care, the list goes on, so reading up on all the different information can be daunting and often time wasting for me.
One of the problems can be trying to figure out where to start when making a change to your lifestyle with how busy our lives are in the Western culture. It’s hard to make time to shower let alone eat healthy every meal and exercise 3-4 times a week! But I somehow manage to do it, as best I can most days that is. That’s why I’ve come up with my top 5 tips when just beginning your journey to a healthier lifestyle. I know more information! However, these are simple and effective ways to start a healthier lifestyle to work towards finding your balance.
- Drink more water! This seems simple, and it is, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t drink enough water! In reality you should be drinking at least 3-4 litres of water a day, and I find I struggle to do this too. But I do keep track everyday, just by understanding how much my water bottle holds, or glasses, and paying attention to how many times I fill up a day. I really do notice the difference, in bloating, pooping, and how much food I’m consuming (helps me get fuller faster, keeps my portions down, or at bay).
- Have a smoothie a day. This is something that really kickstarted my journey to a healthier lifestyle because I realized I could hide loads of good foods in my smoothie and it would still taste great! Spinach, collard greens, seeds, powders, you name it! You can put it in a smoothie and it will still taste ok, I mean you will have to play around a bit before you figure out what you like but you’ll get there! Pinterest has thousands of smoothie recipes to test out!
- Move! Seriously though. Get your but moving. I don’t care if your walking, swimming, jumping, whatever makes your body groove, do it. You don’t have to be an athlete, you just need to get that bum off the couch and out of your office chair. Keep it simple if you have a hard time getting to the gym and an easy time making excuses 😉 Enjoy it. Don’t make excuses. Does good for the mind and body. Do it at 3 times a week! You can find my workouts here.
- Eat more out of the fridge and less out of the cupboard. Try eating more out of the fridge. The stuff in the fridge generally needs to be eaten quicker because it goes bad, you know what that means…? It has nutritional value! (Most things) Think of it like this, if it comes in a package and you can keep it in your cupboard it’s probably not your best choice. Try to chose whole ingredients, things that are one ingredient and mix those together to make real wholesome food. It tough at first, you have to put your creative cap on and test out things before you get the hang of it, but I promise you, you begin to enjoy your food more! You will begin to feel good about what’s going into that mouth and belly!
- Read labels. So if you are going to eat packaged food, which I do, choose wisely! Pick foods that are made of real ingredients. Learn how to read the labels. Less is more (less ingredients, I try to stick to 6 or less). If you can’t pronounce it, look it up. Check sugars! Learn about different type of fats, and which to stay away from. Pay attention to serving size. All this can sound confusing, so read up on them. Here’s a pretty simple outline of how to read nutritional labels.
- BONUS* Self-care. I realized after I picked my photo for this post that self care is also super important for a healthier lifestyle too! Allowing yourself to take time to do things you enjoy, to make yourself feel good and to feel good about yourself. Taking time to feed your soul will help lead to a healthier lifestyle and allow for balance.
Now I think it’s important to note that every body is different and these are the few things that worked for me and that I started with in my life once I started to work towards a healthier lifestyle. I understand that you might only take away 1 or 2 of these points, and work them into your life if you’re a beginner to healthy living. It’s all about the progression towards living healthier, and eventually finding your balance and what works best with your lifestyle and body. So, give these a try, whether its 1 or all 5 tips, but I do feel that all of these easy changes in my life are the reason why I am where I am today, so if I can do it, so can you!